Barbara J. Katzenberg, Attorney at Law
Contact Us Today

Child support and the out-of-state parent

It is not uncommon for Massachusetts residents to move out of state following divorce. They may need to move for work or other personal reasons. At the end of the day, it does not matter why they move; what matters is that they continue meeting any of their court-ordered obligations -- such as child support -- after they do relocate.

Court orders do not change just because a person moves out of state. The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act allows all states to enforce family law orders, regardless of what state they originated in. Those who want to change their orders of support would need to file official modification requests in court or work out a new agreement with their former spouses. An experienced Massachusetts-based attorney can help those living out of state who wish to seek child support adjustments of Massachusetts family court orders.

If an out-of-state parent fails to meet his or her child support obligation, Massachusetts residents can seek help with enforcing their court orders. Doing so involves reporting the issue and filling out specific paperwork to submit to the payer's new state of residence. A few ways in which other states can enforce an out-of-state support order include:

  • Wage garnishment
  • License suspension
  • Prosecution

Every state takes the paying of child support seriously. Moving out of state does not mean that a parent's obligation to pay has ended. Payers and payees who are struggling with their support orders can seek the assistance of an experienced Massachusetts-based family law attorney in order to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Are You Ready To Talk?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

390 Main Street
Suite 750
Worcester, MA 01608

Phone: 508-471-3281
Fax: 508-792-0832
Map & Directions