Barbara J. Katzenberg, Attorney at Law
Contact Us Today

Alimony Archives

Not receiving your alimony payments?

You went through the divorce process. As part of your settlement, your ex was ordered to pay alimony to you for a set period of time. He or she made payments for a few months and then they stopped. If you are not receiving your court-ordered spousal support, the state of Massachusetts allows you to utilize enforcement options in order to get paid.

An alimony dispute could land actor John Schneider in jail

Actor John Schneider is known for his role in the Dukes of Hazard. However, he has also been seen in several other shows, written and directed several stories and films, and even had a successful music career. Through his hard work, he was able to provide a good living for himself and his wife -- a life he was expected to help her maintain following their divorce in 2014. A recent alimony dispute could land John behind bars, however. This is a fate anyone in Massachusetts or elsewhere who fails to make support payments could share.

Is spousal support a guarantee?

When going through a divorce in Massachusetts or elsewhere, some individuals may think that they are entitled to receive alimony. They may be shocked to learn that this is not always the case. The awarding of spousal support is never a guaranteed thing.

Is all alimony tax deductible?

Quite a few Massachusetts residents currently pay spousal support to their exes, and many more will in the years to come. Right now there are tax benefits for alimony payers that can help ease the burden of meeting this financial obligation. Do these benefits apply to all types of alimony?

Brendan Fraser's alimony struggle -- when enough is enough

Financially supporting one's former spouse is often expected by the breadwinner following a divorce in Massachusetts. But when is an alimony award just too much? This is something actor Brendan Fraser and others who pay spousal support are asking themselves.

Do life-insurance premiums count as alimony payments?

For a spouse who has been the primary breadwinner during the vast majority of his or her marriage, if divorce enters the picture he or she may have to continue to provide for his or her ex well after the marriage is over. For some individuals in Massachusetts that will simply mean paying alimony. For others, however, the court may have other ideas in mind.

Do I have to go to court to get alimony?

When going through divorce, not all Massachusetts couples want to litigate the matter. Some just want to settle things through private negotiations or other alternative dissolution methods. This is completely understandable. When it comes to getting certain items included in a divorce settlement though, such as alimony, is going to court necessary?

Will bill H.740 reform the Alimony Reform Act?

Massachusetts residents who divorced before the Alimony Reform Act took effect in March 2012 may still be paying spousal support to exes who, under new laws, would no longer qualify for the benefit. As wrong as that seems, the state Supreme Court has ruled that the wording in the Alimony Reform Act is written in a way that only protects those filing after it was passed and should not be applied retroactively. This could soon change, however.

Massachusetts recognizes 4 different types of alimony

In some divorce cases, though not all, one party may be awarded spousal support. Alimony payments, also referred to as spousal support, will be different in every situation, as certain factors are used to determine the support amount and duration of payments. The state of Massachusetts actually recognizes four types of alimony. Information about the different types of alimony will be the focus of this week's article.

Are You Ready To Talk?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

390 Main Street
Suite 750
Worcester, MA 01608

Phone: 508-471-3281
Fax: 508-792-0832
Map & Directions