Barbara J. Katzenberg, Attorney at Law
Get In Touch With An Experienced Lawyer: 508-471-3281

October 2014 Archives

Planning ahead of divorce may affect alimony and child support

In many divorce cases in Massachusetts, one of the spouses may start considering leaving the marriage long before discussing it with the other spouse. While this is the ideal time to consider the financial consequences such as alimony and child support, emotions commonly run rampantly. Instead of approaching the divorce from a business point of view, it is not uncommon for individuals to focus on how a divorce would affect their relationship with their children and how they would adjust to single life.

What can I do if my ex-spouse fails to pay child support?

When noncustodial parents in Massachusetts neglect to pay child support, they may not realize that their children are the ones who are most affected. A custodial parent who has to make ends meet without court-ordered child support may experience constant anxiety. However, there are federal and state laws designed to help with the enforcement of unpaid child support. If you are in such a position, you may find comfort knowing that you don't have to go through this alone -- family law attorneys are available to act on your behalf and work toward a suitable solution to the problem.

Massachusetts alimony reform causes some confusion

Alimony laws in Massachusetts were revised, and in 2012, a reformed alimony law became effective. This provided the basis for alimony calculations, along with determining when alimony should end. Alimony reform states that alimony payments will cease when the alimony-paying person reaches retirement. However, many questions have cropped up in the courts -- mostly related to divorces that were finalized before 2012.

Child-caring grandparents may want to legalize child custody

When parents leave their children in the care of their grandparents for extended periods, they have the right to take them away whenever they wish. This may be devastating for grandparents, but according to Massachusetts law, they have no right to refuse the parents. Grandparents may benefit from consulting with a family law attorney to discuss the viability of seeking child custody.

Email Us For A Response

I have been helping people resolve difficult family law matters for more than 25 years. I can help you.

Call 508-471-3281

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Barbara J. Katzenberg, Attorney at Law
390 Main Street
Suite 750
Worcester, MA 01608

Phone: 508-471-3281
Fax: 508-792-0832
Worcester Law Office Map