A Brighter Future Is Within Your Reach

A Brighter Future Is Within Your Reach

Seek a child support adjustment rather than face jail time

On Behalf of | Feb 9, 2017 | Child Support, Firm News |

Non-custodial parents in Massachusetts and elsewhere who are ordered to pay child support may face a number of consequences should they fail to make their payments. Some of these consequences can negatively affect one’s personal and professional life. It is possible to avoid penalties for non-support by seeking a child support adjustment.

Recently, in another state, a warrant was put out on a man who is said to owe $60,000 in financial support for his children. This individual was arrested and is facing a second-degree non-support charge. He is currently being held at detention center in lieu of the $10,000 bail that was set in his case. Further court dates are pending.

Jail time is somewhat of an extreme measure when it comes to collecting child support. This is usually a last resort option. It is possible for non-custodial parents to avoid jail time and other consequences associated with the various enforcement options that the state offers to custodial parents. The best way to do this is to seek a support modification in court.

There are perfectly valid reasons that a non-custodial parent may find it difficult to keep his or her support obligation — such as loss of employment or experiencing a pay reduction. However, until a child support adjustment is achieved, he or she will be held legally responsible for the support amount in the current order. An experienced family law attorney can help parents in Massachusetts who are struggling to keep up with child support seek new orders that better suit their current circumstances.

Source: dailyfreeman.com, “Bainbridge man failed to pay $60,000 in child support, Ulster sheriff’s deputies say“, Feb. 5, 2017