A Brighter Future Is Within Your Reach

A Brighter Future Is Within Your Reach

You were issued a child support order, now what?

On Behalf of | May 31, 2019 | Child Support, Firm News |

Financial supporting one’s children is every parent’s responsibility. This does not change when a couple separates or divorces. When a relationship officially comes to an end, one parent may be ordered to pay child support. If such an order is issued in one’s case, applying for child support services offered through the state of Massachusetts Department of Revenue is generally a good idea.

It does not matter if one is the paying parent or the payee, child support services can help ensure support obligations are met. There are certain circumstances for which filing for such services is suggested. Some of these circumstances include:

  • Questions over paternity exist
  • There is a need to enforce a support order
  • There is a want to re-open one’s child support case
  • There is cause to modify a support order

Child support services offered through the Massachusetts Department of Revenue can be of benefit to those ordered to pay support and those who are to receive it. The DOR holds both parties responsible for abiding by the terms of the order. Various issues can be prevented or resolved quickly by having this department involved in one’s case.

At the end of the day, the DOR’s job is to collect child support and pass it on to the receiving parent. It cannot issue orders of support nor can it modify such orders. Those in Massachusetts who have child support issues that need addressing after court orders have already been put into effect can turn to legal counsel for assistance, particularly when those issues cannot be or have not been addressed successfully by the DOR.