A Brighter Future Is Within Your Reach

A Brighter Future Is Within Your Reach

Get help with your relocation custody dispute

On Behalf of | Feb 9, 2018 | Child Custody, Firm News |

Do you need to move out of state and want to take your kids with you? Or are you on the other side of the fence and your ex wants to take your children away from you? Before any move can take place, according to Massachusetts laws, if you and your ex cannot come to agreeable terms on your own, the relocation is going to need court approval. An experienced attorney can help you with your relocation custody dispute, regardless of which side of the fence you find yourself.

If you need to move for a job, support or because it will benefit your child in the long run, you may be able to do so. Of course, how the move will affect the other parent’s time with his or her children does need to be taken into consideration. A judge will only approve the change to a custody plan and the ability to relocate if it is determined to be in the absolute best interests of the child.

If your ex is trying to take your children elsewhere in state or out of state and it will severely limit the time you will have with them, it is understandable that you will have some concerns. It is okay to express those concerns to your ex and the court. Relocations can make it difficult to keep the parent/child bond strong, so it is reasonable to reject such a request unless a solid parenting time plan exists that offers similar custody time to what you already have offered.

A custody dispute can be a terrible thing for parents in Massachusetts to get through. Each parent will have his or her own ideas as to what is best for the affected children. Regardless of your stance on the matter, legal assistance is available to help you fight for a custody arrangement that you feel is right and best for your children. To learn more about how an attorney can help you with your relocation custody dispute, please take a moment and visit our firm’s website.